A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of bumping in to John Fortunato of BeerMelodies.com down at our good friends’, New Jersey Beer Company, during their tasting hours (side note: their Wee Heavy is back on tap and I’d highly recommend filling as many growlers as possible to pair with your holiday feasts – check their Facebook/Twitter for tours/tasting hours).
While sampling the pilot batch of Big Man – an Imperial Black Rye IPA – that Matt and I brewed a few months back – we got to chatting and set up for John to come hang out and share some beers during last week’s brew day. Good times were certainly had and he has since posted a number of reviews of the beers we drank that day to his site.
Beer Melodies is self described as “A libationary ode and discourse on the vagaries and complexities of premium beer and ale sampling, fraught with wit, perspicacity, and genuine appreciation for the subject” rating beers as follows (in full here)
- Big Man – Imperial Black Rye IPA – Pilot collaboration with NJ Beer Co – 5/5
- Blackhorn – Flagship Black IPA – 4/5
- Gingerbull Cowkie – Gingerbread Cookie Brown – 4/5
- Calfuccino – Porter on Espresso Beans – 4/5
- Secret Agent Stout - Stout on Ancho Peppers/Cocoa Nibs – 4/5
- COWserALE – Imperial Sweet Potato Ale – 4/5
- Manolette’s White Mana – Black IPA on Vanilla Beans – 4/5
- Cuadrilla Cocoa – Mexican Hot Chocolate RIS – 3.5/5
- Wee Heifer’s Fruitcake – Strong Scottish Ale on Fruits/Spices – 3.5/5
- Longhop – IPA – 3.5/5
- There’s No Rye-ing in Basebull – Flagship Rye Beer – 3/5
- sMOOked – Dark Smoked Lager – 3/5
- Brown Bagged Lunch – PB&J Brown Ale – collaboration with The Drewery – 3/5
- Saison de Bull – Saison with Rhubarb and Rosemary – 2.5/5
This is just one man’s opinion, but as a brewer, its always nice to hear that people are enjoying what you are putting out there. While the bulk of our samplings were one-off pilot batches, both of the launch flagships faired incredibly well as did a few potential seasonals. Stay tuned for more from Beer Melodies as I’m sure John will be trying more of our creations soon!